Saturday, December 18, 2010

Beet('s your) Soup



Hello there folks,
It has been a while. 4 months and 2 days to be exact. I was in university.
Also, while you're here already, there's no link to my website on here. So here it is.

I'm excited for another season of Dangermann's kitchen, and I hope you are, too. The holidays are almost here, I'm finishing off exams at the moment and am just about ready to enter the food blog world once more, and prepare recipes for you, so you don't have to (do it wrong when you try it).

It is strange writing on a blog, it's kind of like being on a phone, without knowing who you are talking to and not hearing them either.

So here it is, it's your mother's favourite soup!

What you'll need:
some oil for frying
2 onions
2 cloves of garlic
6 beets
3 mid-size potatoes
3 1/2 cups of vegetable or beef stock

And guess what, that's it folks. When I made this soup, I was amazed to discover that the taste of the beets did not require any additional salt and pepper. Simply delicious.



These amounts make quite a few portions, so if you are a student, with a tupperware tendency, I recommend inviting your friends and showing off to them (your mom would love this, too).

It is very quick to prepare. The only downside is the fact that absolutely everything near you and the beets will turn a nice radioactive red wine red.


1. Scrub the beetroot. I had to google to find out what this means. I simply peeled them and that worked just fine. Chop them up to 1 inch thick cubes.






2. Prepare potatoes in the same way as above.

3. Fry chopped onions in a large pot with some oil. Add garlic later.


4. Fry for a minute, add potatoes and beets, and fry for another minute.

5. Add stock, and stand back for some steam action.

6. Cook for 30-35 minutes, until beets are soft.

7. Food process it with a magic stick (as we say in Germany) or dump in a food processor to make a nice baby-food-paste-like consistency.

Enjoy. You may season with salt and pepper, but I didn't have to.


1 comment: